At Porthleven Primary School, we recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of daily life. The focus in our science curriculum is for our pupils to gain knowledge through practical skills and meaningful experiences linked to real life and the natural world.
Following the National Curriculum our Science teaching offers opportunities for children to:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding across Biology, Physics and Chemistry topics.
- Develop understanding of the processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to ask and answer scientific questions about the world around them;
- Develop the essential practical scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge such as planning enquiries and carrying them out.
- Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in different ways.
- Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
- Above all, develop a passion, enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery and to be curious learners
Children have weekly lessons in Science throughout Key Stage 1 and 2, using various programmes of study and resources. In Early Years, science is taught through the children learning about the world around them in their learning through play.